Student athletes from across the province were in St. John’s on May 31 for the annual awards ceremony by School Sports NL.
In total, 31 individuals were recognized for their contributions in a number of categories.
Brother G. I. Athlete of the Year Award:
Scholarships in the amount of $500 will be presented to one male and one female student-athlete of the year representing A, 2A, 3A and 4A classifications respectively.
- Cameron Collier, Belanger Memorial
- Noah Carter, Pearson Academy
- Ethan Isaacs, Holy Name of Mary
- Makenna Taylor, Dorset Collegiate
- Dawson Laundry, Ascension Collegiate
-Heidi Simpson, Glovertown Academy
-Shania Kearney, St. Lawrence Academy
-Nicole Kennedy, Mealy Mountain Collegiate
Student Athletic Program Volunteer Award:
SSNL recognizes that students volunteer at the high school, and junior high levels through the Varsity Program and the primary, elementary and junior high grade levels through the Participation Nation Program. Their volunteer work is to be applauded. One male and one female volunteer will be identified each year as the Student Athletic Program Volunteer of the Year.
- Gregory Kearney, Cloud River Academy
- Hailey Noseworthy, Valmont Academy
Coaching Service Award:
Individuals receiving this award have a strong commitment to the total development of student athletes in his or her program, combined with a long history of involvement in the SSNL Varsity Program. This award also recognizes the contributions of any coach who has been coaching school sports for over 25 years.
- Rod Beals, Labrador Straits Academy
- Scott Bishop, Holy Name of Mary Academy
- Lindahl Butt, Glovertown Academy
- Nish Hynes, King Academy
Individuals receiving this award are being recognized for their outstanding service to school athletics at a provincial, regional and/or zone level. The individual will have contributed to varsity school sports over at least 10 years, or will have made a single outstanding contribution. Recipients of this award may be coaches, officials or administrators working in their respective levels.
- Lindahl Butt, Glovertown Academy
- Craig Loder, Pearson Academy
The following individuals were recognized at the ceremony, but will receive their awards in the region they represent:
Participation Nation Champion Award:
Individuals receiving this award are physical activity warriors, spreading the Participation Nation message on keeping students active and advocating for increased physical activity for students in their extra-curricular time slot.
- Corey Samson, Provincial Active Schools Coordinator
- Patti Corcoran, Dunne Memorial Academy
- Karen Hearn, Dunne Memorial Academy
- Paulette Isaacs, St. Lawrence Academy
- Bonita Rumbolt, St. Mary’s All Grade
Regional Recognition Award:
An individual receiving this award will have made a significant contribution to the SSNL Varsity Program in their SSNL Region, over a five year period, or through one single outstanding contribution.
- Avalon West Region: Jim Shirran, Discovery Collegiate
- Burin Peninsula Region: Matthew Shave, St. Lawrence Academy
- Central Region: John White, Botwood Collegiate
- Central West Region: Ryan Saunders, M. S. B. Regional Academy
- Northern Region: Sandra McCormack, Menihek High School
- Northern Peninsula Region: Alicia Oldford, Bonne Bay Academy
- Southern Labrador Region: Matthew Colbert, Labrador Straits Academy
- St. John’s Region: Geoff Moore, Waterford Valley High
- Western Region: Michael Adey, Grandy’s River Collegiate