It's an auspicious day in St. John's as Costco Wholesale Canada officially opens its long-awaited new location in Galway this morning.
The new location at 75 Danny Drive, replacing the retailer's original Stavanger Drive home in the east end of the city, is said to be Costco's largest warehouse in all of Canada.
The company says it's expecting to create 80 additional jobs above what it currently employs and create opportunities for more local residents to avail of Costco membership.
Tune in to today's opening ceremonies streaming live on the Telegram's Facebook page starting at 7 a.m.
On hand for the ceremony will be City of St. John's mayor Danny Breen, Ward 5 Councillor Wally Collins, Mount Pearl-Southlands MHA Paul Lane, City Manager Kevin Breen, St. John's Board of Trade CEO Nancy Healey and Costco representatives, Pierre Riel, Senior vice-president and general manager for Eastern Canada, and Jerry Renda, general manager of the St. John's store.
The store opens to the public at 8 a.m.
- Roundabouts causing mixed feelings ahead of opening of massive new Costco in St. John's
- Costco paying cops to help direct traffic after grand opening of new St. John's location
- New St. John's Costco set to open June 2
- ROBIN SHORT: Refurbished Costco building could be answer to sporting quagmir
- St. John's city council considers Southlands, Galway bus route