A morning Cabinet meeting was swiftly followed by an early afternoon press conference, as Premier Dwight Ball dispersed word of a formal complaint, made to him over the behaviour of a Liberal member of the House of Assembly.
“This morning I met with an MHA. There has been an official complaint that’s been lodged against a member,” the premier told reporters, before the afternoon session of the House.
“I have a commitment to the member to explore now what next steps we have available to us.”
Ball said next steps will only be decided on and taken after discussion with the complainant.
The premier said he has been given permission to say the complaint was not sexual in nature nor about a physical assault.
At the same time, he said, he is not dismissing the seriousness of the complaint.
He also said it’s important people feel comfortable in coming forward.
The news comes the day after Progressive Conservative Leader Paul Davis asked in Question Period if any complaints had been made to the premier’s office or to the minister responsible for the status of women.
Ball stands by his responses. Asked about a related report referenced by Davis, the premier said he was still not aware of any report.
There was no confirmation the formal complaint today reflects the same case as Davis referenced Tuesday.
Davis began question period Wednesday afternoon on the same subject, in the session after Ball’s press conference and update.
More to come.