Marine Atlantic releases new rates for 2013

Brodie Thomas
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Marine Atlantic has released its 2013 rates, which will take effect April 1.

Marine Atlantic

Starting that day, It will cost a walk-on passenger $1.49 more to make the crossing from Port aux Basques. The new cost is $42.25.

A couple with a vehicle will now pay $194.37 - an increase of $7.20.

A family of four with a vehicle will pay an additional $8.72 for a total of $233.49.

All prices include applicable fees. Marine Atlantic has not raised the security fee or fuel surcharge.

There are no taxes on fares and tarrifs across the gulf, but travellers do pay sales tax on services such as meals and cabins aboard the ferries.

Organizations: Marine Atlantic

Geographic location: Port aux Basques

• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

• tammie
    July 23, 2013 - 11:20

why is it only in newfoundland you pay for both ways to cross boat that is our hwy you go live in b.c you only pay one and they dont soak you to cross then here the price is not even fair for a single parent to even leave with a child hwy robbery is what this island and boat is our hwy we pay to live on this rock they say b.c stands for bring cash i dont think so thats nl bring cash

• Robert
    June 24, 2013 - 12:34

Explain to me why when you pay for your veichal why must the driver pay . Makes no sence to me it should be one price .

• ernie
    June 24, 2013 - 11:45

I have been traveling back and forth on the NL ferry for the past 26 years. last year was the first year that me and my family did not make the trip, basically it was easier for us to take that money we would have used for the ferry ride and put it towards enjoying our vacation. seriously $466.98 for car/ $338.00 walk on and that doesn't include our dog there's another $20 each way and we have to supply the kennel. it used to be an enjoyably trip now it just a money grab. lets not forget the upgrades to the terminals, that's like going from san-Quentin to Alcatraz. they say its for security, here's a thought try going on the PEI ferry or the ferry to Victoria you don't see chain link fences and barb wire there. just another way to keep people confined to the terminals so you'll spend your money there rather than in town. don't even get me started on the price of meals and cabins. I go home to visit my aging mother. it used to be a trip I looked forward to, always look forward to seeing my mother - the trip not so much anymore. can't wait for the tunnel

• elaine smith
    February 15, 2013 - 12:25

So how about this? Marine Atlantic drops their rates by ten percent, but also reduces the wages of their highly overpaid workforce by ten percent as well???? I bet you that would get a reaction from the crowd in PAB and North Sydney, and put Gerry Byrne in a real spin!!!!!

• Jan
    February 14, 2013 - 14:23

Just another money grab. Cheaper to fly when you can get an $89/ow out of Hlfx. Pricing yourselves out of business. So much for Tourism. For the rich and affluent only, it would seem.

• Philip Janes
    February 14, 2013 - 10:04

Well I haven't been home in four years. Well I guess I won't be getting home cause I am from Port aux Basques and probably cheaper to fly when I decide to go home.I guess this is how they going to pay for the boat and keep Newfoundlanders away.It suppose to be part of TCH and don't see any tolls anywhere else.Big cash grab that all I can say.

• DGB
    February 13, 2013 - 17:03

Thats just unfair and unreal ......and yes it was suppose to be a part of the Trans Canada Highway ......then as usual the government got greedy ...and greed leads to more greed .......yup it will soon be cheaper to fly .......

• kevin young
    February 13, 2013 - 14:24

This is so on fair to us from newfoundland" Are they trying to keep us from going back to the place we love.I remember the first trip across to cape breton back in 1989 it was $12.50 at that time as a walk on!!! Now 24 years later it cost $42.25!! if thats not robbing us i don't know what is.Me and my family would go back home at least 3 times a year"Now with the prices gone up so much in the last 10 years anyway "We only get to go home ones a year"So on fair..With the new ferry's they got now which was a bad mistake to me"they can't even make the crossing in the wind like the old ferry's could"always delays.As for my point of view we pay way to much for the poor service we get & each year it get harder & harder to get back to the place we love!!!!!! Kevin young Pipers Cove.NS

• Sandra tucker
    February 13, 2013 - 13:07

This increase is totally unfair, we've travelled marine atlantic for twelve years and i've enjoyed it but due to the increase we may as well fly..Not to mention the tourist why would they even bother to come across with the increase in fares...I think this should be a part of the trans canada...

• alison
      February 14, 2013 - 05:32

I thought that the ferry was a part of the Trans Canadian Highway 1!!!!!

• Audrey Freeman
    February 13, 2013 - 12:20

How in the name of all that's holy are we suppose to promote tourism in this province when it costs almost as much to cross the gulf by car as it would for a charter flight....OK,so people stop traveling by car,fly in and rent a car......there are maybe 25% of the rental cars needed by tourists..friends of ours stranded in St Johns had to actually buy a car to get around the island.All the pretty quaint commercials will not do it if the expense of visiting Newfoundland keeps going up.I admit as a layman I don't have the answers,but isn't that where our tax dollars are suppose to go..to someone in government to come up with these answers? It's like the so called friend who invites you to visit and right away starts putting obstacles and excuses in the way so that make it impossible for you to do so.Please don't get me started on the prices of cabins and meals on board these ferry's!